Pagine

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Inspiration

As you probably know, etsy has a blog that is updated regularly with, among other things, many interviews to various sellers. The question that always comes up is where they gather their inspiration for what they make, and, well, yesterday I was thinking about just that. It is actually a very complex topic but I am going to try to sum it up in a few lines.
Often I am inspired by the yarn itself, the color, texture and feel of the yarn make me imagine what I could make out of it and what would work best with it.
Often I am inspired by clothes I see, either in magazines, on people or on knitting sites (Kim Hargreaves for one is extremely inspiring). But this is quite tricky, there is a very thin line between letting oneself be inspired by someone else's designs and copying other peoples ideas, and it is a line I try to be very careful not to cross.
I like to mix up elements I have seen on different items to avoid this risk...a particular neckline I saw somewhere, with sleeves made in a way I saw somewhere else etc.
Another source of inspiration, of course...are movies! And here I have a specific example...for this twin set:

Come probabilmente saprete, etsy ha un blog che viene aggiornato regolarmente, tra le altre cose, con interviste a vari venditori. Una domanda che viene posta ogni volta riguarda le fonti di ispirazione per coloro che vendono cose fatte a mano, e ieri stavo pensando proprio a questo argomento, parecchio complesso in verità.
Se dovessi riassumere direi che...
Spesso le idee mi vengono direttamente dal filato che voglio usare, il colore, la sensazione al tatto, l'effetto che fa una volta lavorato mi fanno pensare a cosa potrei realizzare e in che tipo di capo renderebbe meglio.
Poi spesso son ispirata da capi di vestiario che vedo o su riviste, o sulla gente o su siti di maglia (ad esempio Kim Hargreaves è sicuramente molto interessante). Qui però la cosa si fa più difficile, il confine fra lasciarsi ispirare e copiare le idee altrui è molto sottile, e cerco sempre di fare molta attenzione a non valicarlo.
Mi piace mescolare elementi che ho visto in vari posti diversi per evitare questo rischio, ad esempio uno scollo visto da qualche parte, con un tipo di manica visto altrove ecc.
Un'altra fonte di ispirazione poi, ovviamente...sono i film! E qui, ho un esempio preciso:
Per questo twin set:

I was inspired by Grace Kelly's costumes in Hitchcocks' To catch a thief...in particular this strange suit:
Mi son ispirata ai costumi di Grace Kelly nel film Caccia al ladro di Hitchcock...più nello specifico questo strano completo:
(from: http://confessionsofagrowinggirl.blogspot.com/2011/03/to-catch-thief.html)
This pink top:
Questa maglia rosa:
(from: http://clothesonfilm.com/to-catch-a-thief-grace-kelly-coral-top-and-skirt/20383/)

And another similar yellow dress that I couldn't fine images of.
E un vestito giallo simile di cui non ho trovato immagini.

I liked the use of a white trim on pastel colored garments. I tried to give it a modern shape while keeping it classic the way Grace Kelly's style was. Don't know if I managed, but I like the result anyways. 
Mi piaceva l'uso del profilo bianco sui capi di colori pastello. Ho cercato di dargli una forma abbastanza moderna ma che avesse qualcosa di classico nello stile di Grace. Non so se io ci sia riuscita, ma il risultato comunque mi piace.

No comments:

Post a Comment