Pagine

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

That time I knit my friend's wedding gown...

I just came back from one of my closest friends' wedding in London.
She is such an incredible person, we have known each other for over ten years, been through all sorts of things together, and even though she lives far away it feels as if she had never left... it was so amazing to be able to be there on her wedding day.
The ceremony was simple and intimate with only the closest friends and family members there and it was such an amazing day! It was incredibly sweet, fun and hilariously funny all at the same time... as one of the guests put it "it was exactly how every wedding should be".
But what made the event even more special to me was the fact that I had the honor to knit my friend's gown. The idea came up almost by chance about a year ago when she told us the news, and since then I have been working on the dress, which was completed two weeks before the event (last time I went to London was to bring her the dress!). It was a daunting task indeed, but it was definitely the most incredible experience I ever had in my entire knitting life. Seeing her walk down the aisle in the dress I had made for her was a feeling I can't really describe. She looked absolutely stunning. Since it was cold she paired it with a Max Mara bolero and small coat. Gorgeous. Perfect.
The only pictures I have for now where you can really see the dress are a few pictures my dad took of the dress on me before I brought it to her, a few pictures I took with my phone on the day of the wedding and the first official picture, the black and white one, which was taken by the incredible professional photographer of the event, Elisabetta Riccio. I have seen a few of the other official photos but they aren't out yet, but I have to say that Elisabetta did a great job of capturing the essence of the bride and groom, and of the simple ceremony. She knew exactly when to pick up the camera and snap pictures without anyone noticing and I really, really recommend her, for any kind of event actually!

Sono appena tornata da Londra, dal matrimonio di una della mie migliori amiche.
Si tratta di una persona eccezionale, ci conosciamo da più di dieci anni, siam praticamente diventate adulte assieme (anche se per certi versi siam cambiate poco dai tempi del liceo), e anche se ora vive all'estero è come se non se ne fosse mai andata...è stato incredibile essere lì il giorno del suo matrimonio. La cerimonia è stata intima e semplice, con solo gli amici e familiari più stretti, ed è stata una giornata assolutamente fantastica: la perfetta combinazione di dolcezza, divertimento e risate da avere male ai fianchi. Per dirlo come lo ha detto una delle invitate "è stato esattamente come ogni matrimonio dovrebbe essere".
Ma quello che ha reso la giornata ancora più speciale per me, è stato il fatto che ho avuto l'onore di realizzare per lei il vestito, a maglia. L'idea venne fuori quasi per caso un annetto fa quando ci diede la notizia, e da allora ci ho lavorato tutto l'anno, fino a qualche settimana fa, quando ho completato il vestito e sono andata a Londra a portarglielo. In tutta la mia vita da lavoratrice a maglia non ho mai avuto un'esperienza così incredibile, vederla entrare con il vestito addosso quel giorno è stata una sensazione che non riesco veramente ad esprimere a parole. Era splendida. Dal momento che faceva freschino, lo ha abbinato con un coprispalla e una giacchina di Max Mara. Meravigliosa. Perfetta.
Le uniche foto che ho per ora in cui si veda bene il vestito sono un paio di foto che ha fatto mio papà del vestito addosso a me prima che glielo portassi, qualche foto fatta col telefono il giorno del matrimonio, e la prima foto ufficiale, quella in bianco e nero, fatta dalla fantastica fotografa professionista dell'evento, Elisabetta Riccio. Ho visto un po' delle altre foto dell'evento che però non sono ancora uscite, e devo dire che sono veramente spettacolari. Elisabetta è riuscita perfettamente a catturare l'essenza sia degli sposi che della cerimonia in se', e riusciva sempre a beccare esattamente il momento giusto per tirare su la macchina e scattare una foto praticamente senza farsi vedere. La consiglio tantissimo, per qualsiasi tipo evento in realtà!

The dress...
Il vestito...

 
 
 
 
 

...and on the beautiful bride...
...e sulla meravigliosa sposa...

 
<3

2 comments: